1/7/14

I recently wrapped up a short comic for the upcoming third issue of Quarter Moon, which will be out in time for Valentine's Day (which is appropriate because it's erotica themed). I rarely take process pictures when I work but I managed to remember to take a few while working on the first page. My process is a long one!

First, a quick thumbnail on my sketchbook to help me determine layout and pacing.

Then the sketch is enlarged, printed to scale and traced onto bristol vellum with my trusty Artograph Light Pad (I love this thing soooo much. Never runs hot! No warped paper!!). I pencil in more details in preparation for inking with Staedtler pencils in HB and 2B (However I pencil really lightly for some reason).

Panel borders are inked first, which serves as a good warm-up and gives the impression that you have accomplished more work than you actually have. Finally, I ink the pencil drawings with my Raphael red sable brushes (sizes 1 through 3), sumi ink and pro white for the mistakes.

I was given a sneak peek at some of the other contributors' work, which has me super STOKED to see the issue in person. Locust Moon will throw a release party in mid-February, so look out for more pictures then!